of marketing pipeline goal achieved in first quarter with omnichannel campaign
better engagement rates in digital ads compared to industry averages
of all campaign responses from within target accounts (over two quarters)
Radius on Radius: Exceeding Pipeline Goals with The Network of Record
A behind-the-scenes look at how Radius uses the Radius Revenue Platform to execute an ABM strategy and to reach their target account with an omnichannel approach.
B2B companies face unique challenges in identifying their best accounts and turning them into customers. Radius is no exception. That’s why the sales and marketing organizations at Radius rely on the Radius Revenue Platform to help execute an account-based marketing (ABM) strategy and align marketing and sales teams to drive ever-increasing revenue results.
Goal: Meet bold pipeline targets
While multiplying annual growth is nothing to complain about, the Radius sales and marketing teams can’t rest on their laurels. The pressure is on to continue growing the company rapidly. In fact, marketing is tasked with growing their pipeline contribution by 78 percent quarter over quarter.
That’s why the Radius marketing team implemented ABM. ABM helps Radius build pipeline and work hand-in-hand with sales to move prospects through the buyer’s journey. According to John Hurley, senior director for demand generation and content marketing at Radius, the marketing team had created “a well-oiled demand generation machine that included a wide variety of content, multiple channels, a comprehensive in-house database, and a skilled and experienced set of marketers.”
However, as the sales organization expanded—particularly the enterprise segment — the marketing team needed a more predictive and scalable approach to meet their aggressive pipeline goals and move up-market. “We had to become more focused on how we penetrate the accounts that we knew should convert into large deals,” says Hurley.
Radius helps us operationalize account-based marketing and build the go-to-market strategy that drives revenue. And it makes us, as marketers, all the more passionate about the product that we’re delivering.
Shari Johnston, Senior Vice President of Marketing, Radius
Milestones: Implement an account-based marketing and sales strategy
Explains Shari Johnston, senior vice president of marketing at Radius, “ABM is not only great for ensuring that our marketing and sales teams are aligned around the same targets and speaking the same language, but that we’re also putting our limited resources towards those accounts and targets that are most likely to convert.”
To that end, the marketing team identified four core milestones for achieving its pipeline goal:
- Identify the right target accounts for four sales teams
- Acquire data on those accounts and contacts
- Design campaigns that target unique segments with relevant messaging
- Reach key contacts at target segments and drive conversions
According to Hurley, a crucial aspect for the milestones was getting the real-time intelligence needed to understand who the target accounts are, what’s going on within those target accounts, and what makes them unique. That’s where the Radius Revenue Platform comes into play.
Solution: Leverage always-on B2B data to identify and target best prospects
Radius Revenue Platform gives the Radius marketing and sales organizations the accurate, comprehensive, and up-to-date data they need for ABM, as well as the tools and workflows to operationalize the data into campaigns that reach targets across several channels. Radius uses Radius to meet its milestone objectives:
- Identify target accounts for sales teams: The Radius platform helps prioritize inbound leads and select grade accounts for the company’s ABM strategy. Marketing alongside the field operations team uses Radius to score existing accounts and identify and source new accounts that fit the company’s ideal customer profile. Using The Network of Record, Radius refreshes the target account list every quarter. The ability to upload sales territories helps to expedite that process and ensure account quality is equal across sales reps. “We use Radius to understand our total addressable market (TAM) for each one of the reps we’re working with,” says Matt Ferriss, sales development manager at Radius.
- Acquire data on those accounts and key contacts: The marketing team uses the always-on, unlimited data within Radius to enrich the data in its marketing automation and CRM systems. Product technologies used by an account, such as Salesforce or Marketo, as well as their digital advertising behaviors are appended to the CRM account record. The team also sources contacts for each key role within every account and uses the always-on data to keep the contact data fresh. This gives both marketing and sales the crucial data they need to start reaching prospects.
- Design campaigns that target segments with relevant messaging: Radius allows the Radius team to segment target accounts by more than 1,000 different attributes, without having to collect and maintain that data within their own system. Then the marketing team uses Radius to monitor which accounts are showing intent for specific topics that indicate the account is actively seeking content and solutions. For instance, Radius can easily identify their Tier A accounts that are showing intent for “predictive lead scoring”. Leah Allen, Radius’ senior director of web, marketing technology, and operations, uses Radius on a regular basis to understand when to reach ideal prospects, making sure that Radius is the first competitor in every opportunity. “We have a campaign that uses intent data from The Network of Record, which tells us when one of our target accounts is in the market for a solution like ours,” she says. and then trigger campaigns that capitalize on this in-market, perfect-fit audience. The team can then setup campaigns to immediately reach those in-market, perfect-fit accounts with uniquely designed messaging based off that intent signal. The platforms integration into Marketo, Salesforce, and Facebook make the deployment of those trigger-based campaigns operationally seamless.
- Engage with contacts at accounts and drive conversions: The marketing team first uses Radius to deploy segments into Facebook and Twitter for digital advertising, where they can cheaply and efficiently build awareness with key contacts within their target accounts. With richness of the The Network of Record, Radius is able leverage network-enriched profiles that exponentially increase match rates to the digital profiles of their target audience. We rely on Radius and The Network of Record to optimize our omnichannel approach,” says Hurley. Allen agrees: “One of the challenges with digital ad platforms is that they’re built for B2C. For B2B, you have to target your audience more effectively. Radius helps us do that.” The team then engages and converts contacts via performance channels built for one-to-one communication and conversion, such as sales cadences with Salesforce and marketing emails via Marketo.
Results: Outperform pipeline goal and increase response rates
With Radius deeply integrated into Radius’ corporate go-to-market strategy, the marketing team achieved 179 percent of pipeline goal in the first quarter and exceeded the goal by 123 percent over two quarters. Johnston states, “The opportunity to continually grow and expand is limitless with Radius in our back pocket.”
The marketing and sales teams also realized a 35 percent overall increase in response rates within target accounts in two quarters. Hurley sees the Radius Revenue Platform as the secret weapon that helps his team achieve the department’s aggressive goals. “Without Radius and The Network of Record, it would be very difficult to connect with the right contacts at the right accounts across all channels,” he says.
Radius allows the marketing team to be hyper-focused and allocate budget and resources to campaigns and programs that drive the best results. Hurley cites the results of a recent omnichannel campaign: “Radius helped us drive awareness on Facebook and reach more than 46,000 contacts within our target A and B accounts. That engagement, because it was executed via an omnichannel strategy, outperformed industry averages by delivering four times the click-through rates.” By focusing on the right audiences and connecting relevant content, the team saw 4x the engagement on their digital ads compared to industry averages–helping to build the awareness need to convert accounts.
Across the marketing organization, using Radius has another benefit: helping teams better understand the value the platform brings to fellow B2B marketers. “Personally, it’s exciting to be a marketer at a marketing technology company that actually gets to leverage our own marketing solution,” says Hurley. “Not only do I have a better perspective on how our users use Radius, but it helps me do my job better.”